About Us

HISTORY

History and Culture

Inventory management pioneer: RGIS

Thomas J. Nicholson founded RGIS in 1958 to offer grocery stores an accurate and economical alternative to in-house inventories. Within a few years, the business expanded beyond the Midwest and started conducting counts across the United States.
 
1950s
Thomas J. Nicholson creates Retail Grocery Inventory Service with sons Bill and Ray in 1958. Headquarters moved from the basement of the Nicholson home to an office in Detroit, MI. 
 
1960s
RGIS is on its way to becoming a national presence. New offices open in Illinois, Florida, Wisconsin, Ohio, Missouri, Indiana, Louisiana and Minnesota. RGIS also creates an international presence in Canada. 
 
1970s
RGIS establishes 92 total districts by the end of the decade with divisions created throughout the nation. RGIS headquarters relocates from Madison Heights, Michigan to Rochester, Michigan. The first mini computers are used in district offices, including the introduction of the SCM electronic calculator and the custom-designed TJN calculator. 
 
1980s
RGIS launches the Audit® microcomputer – proprietary technology which goes through six upgrades during the decade. RGIS also develops an HQ Data Center for processing information. By the end of the decade, RGIS has a worldwide presence, with more than 200 district offices. 
 
1990s
The Audit® microcomputer continues to be improved upon, with six more breakthrough iterations being released over the decade. RGIS increases global reach with offices in Mexico, Nova Scotia, British Columbia, Israel and Brazil. Technology takes a quantum leap forward with the introduction of the Portable Financial (PORTFN) program. Radio Frequency (RF) wireless technology is introduced to increase effectiveness. 
 
2000s
The International Division forms to uniquely position RGIS for new markets. RGIS headquarters relocates to Auburn Hills, Michigan. Offices open in the United Kingdom, Germany, Argentina, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Chile, France, Romania, Poland, Greece and The Czech Republic. RGIS headquarters is renamed the Field Support Center to better reflect the contributions made by the thousands of dedicated employees who support field operations. To better serve a growing customer base, RGIS acquires companies in France, Germany and Australia.  The Audit® microcomputer, wildly successful through 14 generations, is retired and replaced with an evolutionary, proprietary handheld device with secure wireless technology. RGIS is acquired by The Blackstone Group. 
 
2010-present 
RGIS continues its historic growth and industry leadership, including the addition of a secure customer data portal and expansion into the Asia-Pacific region with the acquisitions of companies in China and Japan.